Re: Canvas shadow DOM question for interactive HTML5 elements

Hi David,

Yes, this is to discuss the feasibility. Although if you have other options
to doing this we are open to hearing them. Ideally, it would be good to
support an accessibility API but the cross-platform consensus process to
achieve this cannot be contained in HTML 5. We will need to address the
issue of driving a magnifier to following the caret and selected text. ...
one thing at a time. :-)

Regarding examples:
James Craig has an updated example with this working. James if you could
post it that would be great.

Here is a basic example that I worked on with Frank that does not make use
of input controls or contenteditable areas:

(See attached file: canvas-acc.html)

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

             David Bolter
             <dbolter@mozilla.
                                       Richard
             01/07/2010 01:22          Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                                       jcraig@apple.com, Frank Olivier
                                       <franko@microsoft.com>,
                                       public-canvas-api
                                       <public-canvas-api@w3.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Canvas shadow DOM question for
                                       interactive HTML5 elements

Hi Rich,

I'm encouraging discussion on our Mozilla bug for this, but in the
meantime I can say that no show-stoppers jump out at me. Am I correct
that we are for now just discussing the feasibility of this approach,
and not the merits? I'm not saying this approach isn't the best, but I
just want to clarify the current goal here.

Aside: has this been mocked up yet? Perhaps with a div container that
follows the canvas application, where the div subtree is displaced
offscreen (via the -9999, -9999 hackery). It seems to me that we can
test a lot of how this would work, without having to put the non-visual
DOM underneath the canvas element.  I seem to recall someone having an
action item on this.

cheers,
David