Re: Proposal for fixing race conditions

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:37:04 +1200
To: Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com>
Cc: Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhgari@gmail.com>, Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>, Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com>, WG <public-audio@w3.org>, "K. Gadd" <kg@luminance.org>, Olivier Thereaux <Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk>
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com> wrote:

> This is an implementation choice.  Right now, neutered buffers are very
> rare, so JSC has optimized the non-neutering case.  It sounds like
> SpiderMonkey has chosen a different optimization strategy, trading an
> upfront cost (tracking and checking allocation sites) for limiting the cost
> of the pathological neutering case.

Neutering isn't pathological. It's the solution the Web platform has
settled on for avoiding data copies when transferring data between threads
(and potentially other kinds of ownership transfer). I expect its usage to
increase as people write more code using Workers and demand higher
performance for that code.

I would prefer to not make neutering any more common, not only because JSC
> is already heavily optimized for that case, but because neutering violates
> a design principle of ArrayBuffers, that their length is immutable.

If you consider neutering undesirable, you should have tried to block its
introduction. Did you provide feedback to Hixie about that? If you feel
strongly about this, please write to public-html and whatwg (maybe
public-script-coord) explaining your position and asking them not to add
new usage of neutering. This is not a good forum to make that kind of
architectural decision.

waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*