Re: Trusted proxy UI strawman

On 16 June 2014 07:57, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

> I think "trusted proxy" is a misnomer and misleading and
> in general "trusted foo" is probably better not part of
> any technical discussion on this topic since the question
> of who is trusting whom for what is complex here and
> ignoring that complexity IMO does a disservice to the
> various interested parties.

This is a point that I need to emphasize.  The labels "trusted proxy"
and "secure proxy" are misnomers in the very best Orwellian tradition.
Those labels need to be used less casually.  Here, I note that Sal
gets this right, concentrating on factual aspects - i.e., explicitly
authenticated - even if this point probably needs to be better
supported.

If we have a proxy for which its primary purpose is policy
enforcement, then we can label that a policy enforcement proxy.