Re: Trusted proxy UI strawman

Hi Peter,

On 16/06/14 15:05, bizzbyster@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Since pinning is not enforced if the trust anchor is a user inserted
> CA, browsers support MITM today. Whether this is TLS being borked or
> HTTP being borked  I don't know.
>
> But by burying your head in the sand

I suspect my head is above at least one parapet:-)

The metaphor is also fairly unfair. I'm disagreeing with
your proposed solution, not ignoring it.

Were I to accuse the proponents of various ways of
borking TLS of burying their heads in the sand because
they have clearly not done the analysis of all the
impacts of such, that would be equally unfair. So I've
not:-)

But here's [1] the list of the 195 RFCs that cite RFC
5246 in case that helps. And here's [2] the list of
1785 publications that Google scholar lists that cite
RFC 5246. When someone has produced an analysis of the
impact of their favourite way to make the major change
of adding a 3rd party to TLS on those then I will be
interested in reading that. The corresponding numbers
for RFC 2246 are 167 RFCs and 3155 citations btw, and
those also need to be considered.

Yes, that is quite an ask. But a major change to a
very widely used protocol like TLS should be.

> you are implicitly advocating:
>
> MITM without user notification Non-enforcement of pinned certs
> Forgery of certificates and therefore transitive trust

I am definitively not "advocating" for any such thing.

> As opposed to what I'm proposing (Mcgrew draft plus something like
> http://caffeinatetheweb.com/presentations/trusted_proxy.html) which
> in broad terms is: User notification of the presence of trusted
> proxies The ability for users to opt out on a per site basis or
> globally Pinned cert enforcement Ability for user and browser to
> examine the original certificate
>
> Yes we have had this discussion previously. But I don't think we
> reached consensus. Also, the fact that my company is building a
> browser and looking for protocol design and security inputs on
> trusted proxy from the community is a new development. It'd be great
> to get your thoughts on how best to do it from a security
> perspective.

I think "trusted proxy" is a misnomer and misleading and
in general "trusted foo" is probably better not part of
any technical discussion on this topic since the question
of who is trusting whom for what is complex here and
ignoring that complexity IMO does a disservice to the
various interested parties.

And from a security perspective: the best way to not
bork TLS is just that.

Cheers,
S.

[1] http://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/citations-rfc5246.html