#527, Question for the editors about draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-25

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:19:06 +0100
To: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 2013-12-13 04:43, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> CHAR is being used in some ABNF rules for the P5 Range draft.
>
> Section 1.2 has a generic refernce to RFC5234.
>
> Appendix C has a more specific reference to RFC5324 explicitly listing
> the ABNF definitions imported, but omits CHAR.
>
> Is that appendix relevant and needing an update before publication?
>
> Amos

Good catch!

The appendix is relevant, but the actual problem is the use of CHAR in
the first place.

We have

   Range = byte-ranges-specifier / other-ranges-specifier
   other-ranges-specifier = other-range-unit "=" other-range-set
   other-range-set = 1*CHAR

and RFC 5234 defines

       CHAR           =  %x01-7F
                              ; any 7-bit US-ASCII character,
                              ;  excluding NUL

but we certainly do not want control characters here, so it should have
been VCHAR.

Best regards, Julian