Re: Things we know and can hopefully agree upon w.r.t. the state of the web today.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:10:28 +1300
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On 2013-11-19 06:23, Eliot Lear wrote:
> Roberto,
>
> On 11/18/13 6:09 PM, Roberto Peon wrote:
>>
>> So... I'm hoping for this thread to affirm or debate the following
>> things:
>>
>> a)  we cannot effectively impose changes on already deployed
>> infrastructure or content
>
> I think the word "impose" is a bit imposing.  We cannot assume today
> that deployed infrastructure will magically upgrade to new features
> overnight.  That's different from saying we can never assume that
> upgrades will occur.
>
> Eliot

Whereas I think its on the right track, even if a little harsh.

  * We cannot impose/force changes to improve things

  * We can encourage or educate for upgrades and improvement

Many of these are problems only for the initial days/months/years of
rollout, but the base specification needs to include a long-term (10+
year) view for dealing with the network state when these things have
been resolved.

+1 from me on the whole initial list as written.

Amos