Re: A proposal

Roy,

One request for clarification below:

On 11/18/2013 11:39 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2013, at 3:40 PM, Mike Belshe wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> Security is a systemic issue, not a protocol issue.  There is nothing
>> secure about TLS or encryption.  There are merely some use cases in
>> which the data crossing the wire can be made confidential to a given
>> set of key holders, preferably controlled by the entity to which the
>> user intends to communicate in confidence.  That level of confidentiality
>> is sufficient for many commerce use cases.  It does not provide privacy.
>>
>> Anyone who thinks adding TLS to plain HTTP will improve security,
>> let alone privacy, needs to learn how TLS gets its security.
>> Encryption is not magic pixie dust.
>>
>> So your official statement is that TLS does not improve the security or privacy of HTTP?
>
> I don't make official statements.
>
> rot13 improves privacy, if what you mean by "improve" is that there
> exist some tools that do not currently read rotated clear text.
> I don't think "improves privacy" is a useful description.
> You either have privacy or you don't.

Security is less complicated than privacy and is definitely
not a binary property. Privacy is at this point far less
well defined, so I find the last statement above quite hard
to accept. (In fact, I find it unbelievable.) However, privacy
is so ill-defined that its possible you're using some
definition that does support such a binary distinction. FWIW,
I'd be hugely surprised if there were a useful definition in
which privacy was a binary property of systems.

I suspect there's not much point in a blow by blow response
if it turns out our terminology is miles apart in that
respect, so can you provide or point at your definition of
privacy such that its a binary property of systems?

Thanks,
S.