Re: HPACK encoder/decoder memory bounding

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:55:07 -0700
To: Fred Akalin <akalin@google.com>
Cc: Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>, Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com>, Hervé Ruellan <ruellan.crf@gmail.com>, Osama Mazahir <OSAMAM@microsoft.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 25 October 2013 11:46, Fred Akalin <akalin@google.com> wrote:
> I went back and checked the draft and the setting description was clear; I
> just glossed over the key phrase '...used to decode header blocks.'

Actually, I just scanned, and thought that perhaps this might help:

            Settings are not negotiated.  Settings are sent
independently by both peers.  Different
            values for the same setting can be advertised by each
peer.  For example, a client might
            set a high initial flow control window, whereas a server
might set a lower value to
            conserve resources.

Also:

   SETTINGS_HEADER_TABLE_SIZE:
                    Allows the sender to inform the remote endpoint of
the size of the header
                    compression table used to decode header blocks.
The space available for
                    encoding cannot be changed; it is determined by
the setting sent by the peer
                    that receives the header blocks.  The initial
value is 4096 bytes.

How does that sound?