Re: FYI... Binary Optimized Header Encoding for SPDY

From: Adrien W. de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 05:15:04 +0000
To: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "James M Snell" <jasnell@gmail.com>
Cc: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, "Mike Belshe" <mike@belshe.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

------ Original Message ------
From: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: "James M Snell" <jasnell@gmail.com>
Cc: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>;"Mike Belshe"
<mike@belshe.com>;"ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 3/08/2012 4:35:00 p.m.
Subject: Re: FYI... Binary Optimized Header Encoding for SPDY
>On 2012/08/03 2:48, James M Snell wrote:
>>On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Poul-Henning
>>Kamp<phk@phk.freebsd.dk>wrote:
>
>>>For instance, could we get rid of the %-encoding of URIs by allowing
>>>UTF8 ?
>>
>>It would be possible, for instance, to begin using IRI's directly
>>without
>>translating those to URI's first.
>
>Great idea. Please note that that will also save a few bytes (but
>that's definitely not the main reason for doing it).
>
>>Doing so, however, does not eliminate the
>>need for %-encoding,
>
>Yes, a '#' or '?' in a path segment and similar stuff still have to be
>%-encoded.

if we're defining a new binary-safe transport for header values,
shouldn't we try to avoid all multiplexing / escaping and parsing of
strings?

e.g. just put querystring in another "header" instead.  Then anything
can contain '?'

same with fragments (#) although I thought these weren't allowed on the
wire...

In fact the concept of a single string which is a URI could be
deprecated for 2.0 and just be sent as individual fields in a request.

gatewaying back to 1.1 would require assembling a URI from the pieces,
but that should be easy.

Seems a bit nuts to go binary and leave some parts as overloaded string
fields requiring string parsing and escaping.

Adrien