Re: FYI... Binary Optimized Header Encoding for SPDY

On 2012/08/03 14:15, Adrien W. de Croy wrote:

> From: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>

>> Yes, a '#' or '?' in a path segment and similar stuff still have to be
>> %-encoded.
>
> if we're defining a new binary-safe transport for header values,
> shouldn't we try to avoid all multiplexing / escaping and parsing of
> strings?
>
> e.g. just put querystring in another "header" instead. Then anything can
> contain '?'

Well, yes, but then you might have a '=' or a '&' in an parameter value
(hopefully not in a parameter name), and you will have to escape that.
And then you could create separate headers (or what not) for each
parameter name/value pair, but that would be in conflict with the
understanding that the syntax details of query parts are essentially
between the client application and the server.

> same with fragments (#) although I thought these weren't allowed on the
> wire...

Yes, the aren't sent.

> In fact the concept of a single string which is a URI could be
> deprecated for 2.0 and just be sent as individual fields in a request.

For some cases, such as chopping off the query part, that might work and
be a good idea (e.g. for privacy reasons as Poul-Henning notes in a
followup), but in general, it's a slippery slope, and it may be really
difficult to get rid of escaping altogether.

Regards,    Martin.