Re: Filling out 202 Accepted

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:13:09 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
On 2011-08-11 06:40, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> The 202 Accepted status code has come up from time to time, with people liking the idea behind it, but needing a bit more.
>
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-15#section-8.2.3>
>
> I'm wondering if we can clarify things a little bit by adding two bits of text:
>
> --8<---
> A 202 response MAY carry a Retry-After header field that indicates an estimation of when the processing might be complete.
>
> It MAY also carry a Location header that indicates the URI of a resource that will be created once processing has completed.
> --->8---
>
> Thoughts?

Nit: do not use MAY here, just state that the header fields are applicable.

Other than that - the current description says:

"The 202 response is intentionally non-committal. Its purpose is to
allow a server to accept a request for some other process (perhaps a
batch-oriented process that is only run once per day) without requiring
that the user agent's connection to the server persist until the process
is completed. The representation returned with this response SHOULD
include an indication of the request's current status and either a
pointer to a status monitor or some estimate of when the user can expect
the request to be fulfilled."

...so a "status monitor" resource would also be a candidate for the
Location header field.

Maybe this is premature? Does anybody use this right now?

Best regards, Julian