Re: pack200-gzip Content Coding

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 13:17:57 +1000
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Hmm, IETF doesn't appear to have a liaison with the JCP.

I did find this:
  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/deployment/deployment-guide/pack200.html

... where it's pretty clear this is an abuse of Accept-Encoding. I'd hazard a guess that it's deployed somewhat; can some of the more Java-minded people on the list ask around, please?

To me, this seems like a good argument for a slightly higher bar in this registry... and I'm sorely tempted to try to remove this entry, or at least deprecate it, if it's already deployed.