Re: pack200-gzip Content Coding

On 09.04.2010 05:17, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Hmm, IETF doesn't appear to have a liaison with the JCP.

cc'ing David Nuescheler who might know.

> I did find this:
>    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/deployment/deployment-guide/pack200.html
>
> ... where it's pretty clear this is an abuse of Accept-Encoding. I'd hazard a guess that it's deployed somewhat; can some of the more Java-minded people on the list ask around, please?

In the meantime I saw this as well.

It appears to be used by Java Webstart, but really should have been a
media type as far as I can tell.

> To me, this seems like a good argument for a slightly higher bar in this registry... and I'm sorely tempted to try to remove this entry, or at least deprecate it, if it's already deployed.

We already changed the requirements (or actually stated them for the
first time) to "specification and expert review" - I think that would
have prevented this.

Best regards, Julian