Re: [OT] Re: #131: Connection limits (proposal)

From: Jim Gettys <jg@freedesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:42:21 -0400
To: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
CC: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, "jim gettie"@frink.w3.org, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
NWilliam A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> And thus, I labeled this Off-Topic, but it's an interesting discussion to have :)
> This is probably as far as the http-wg wants to see this discussion move at the
> moment, until the work on 2616bis is complete.

Note TCP congestion is usually a transient phenomena in the network, not
necessarily anywhere near an origin server or proxy; I think this idea
is doomed to fail.

In any case, it would be an addition to HTTP, and should be dealt with
as a draft on its own, that would progress on its own, and off topic for
updating 2616.
                      - Jim