Re: estimated Content-Length with chunked encoding

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 23:21:21 +0100
To: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Cc: Greg Dean <dean.greg@gmail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On mån, 2008-10-20 at 13:52 -0700, Greg Dean wrote:
> >
> > Transfer-Encoding: chunked
> > Estimated-Content-Length: 300000
>
> > This would allow for the recipient of such a message to prepare for a
> > message of a certain size.
>
> Looks useful to me, for the reasons you outlined and a bunch more. See
> for example the NTLM auth chunked discussion a year ago or so..
>
> For responses it's meaningful even without chunked.
>
> I don't see anything wrong with it, especially not with the length being
> an estiamte and not the exact expected lenght.

In some circumstances you may be able to refine the estimate as the
message is being transmitted.

Chunk extensions ("chunk-extension") would suit that:

    1000;estimated-remaining=299000
    (1000 bytes)
    1000;estimated-remaining=298000
    (1000 bytes)

I don't know if chunk extensions break in the real world, though.

-- Jamie