Re: [google-gears-eng] Re: Deploying new expectation-extensions

From: Charles Fry <fry@google.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 20:08:53 -0400
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Brian McBarron" <bpm@google.com>, google-gears-eng@googlegroups.com, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>, "HTTP Working Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

>  Can't the origin server just send the 103s without being asked for it? That
> would allow the client to discover support for the feature.

Hmm. Now this is starting to come full-circle. As I understand it the
whole reason that Expect: 100-continue is used in conjunction with 100
Continue responses is to ensure, as the request is finding its way to
the origin server, that the response will be able to find its way
back, being properly interpreted as an intermediate response. Without
this there is the risk that a non-100-continue-aware proxy would
interpret the 100 response as a final response.

Is this not a requirement of any client-elicited 1xx response? I.e.
can we really just send 103s when they aren't asked for, with full
confidence that they won't break anything as they travel back to the
client?

Charles