Re: [google-gears-eng] Re: Deploying new expectation-extensions

fre 2008-04-04 klockan 20:08 -0400 skrev Charles Fry:

> Hmm. Now this is starting to come full-circle. As I understand it the
> whole reason that Expect: 100-continue is used in conjunction with 100
> Continue responses is to ensure, as the request is finding its way to
> the origin server, that the response will be able to find its way
> back, being properly interpreted as an intermediate response. Without
> this there is the risk that a non-100-continue-aware proxy would
> interpret the 100 response as a final response.

Not really. It's more about avoiding the heuristics on how long a client
should wait for 100 Continue. But unfortutately it failed due to
HTTP/1.0 and RFC2068 being part of the picture...

> Is this not a requirement of any client-elicited 1xx response? I.e.
> can we really just send 103s when they aren't asked for, with full
> confidence that they won't break anything as they travel back to the
> client?

Yes, if the request was received as an HTTP/1.1 request. At least from a
specifications point of view. (not entirely sure about actual
implementations..)

Regards
Henrik