Re: [google-gears-eng] Re: Deploying new expectation-extensions

Brian McBarron wrote:
> What we need to implement
> http://code.google.com/p/google-gears/wiki/ResumableHttpRequestsProposal
> is a mechanism which:
> A) Is guaranteed to reach the origin-server (not discarded or refused by
> a proxy)
> B) The origin-server will refuse to process if it doesn't understand
> These conditions are necessary so that the continuation of a request
> can't result in unintended consequences if it ends up at the wrong
> origin-server.  Charles and I thought that the Expect header would
> accomplish these two things.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a
> different mechanism that could achieve the same effect?

It sounds you need a Must-Understand end-to-end mechanism. I don't think
that exists in HTTP/1.1. RFC 2774 may be what you want, but that doesn't
help in practice.

That being said, I'm not sure why you need B).

Can't the origin server just send the 103s without being asked for it?
That would allow the client to discover support for the feature.

BR, Julian