Re: [google-gears-eng] Re: Deploying new expectation-extensions

Charles Fry wrote:
>>  Can't the origin server just send the 103s without being asked for it? That
>> would allow the client to discover support for the feature.
>
> Hmm. Now this is starting to come full-circle. As I understand it the
> whole reason that Expect: 100-continue is used in conjunction with 100
> Continue responses is to ensure, as the request is finding its way to
> the origin server, that the response will be able to find its way
> back, being properly interpreted as an intermediate response. Without
> this there is the risk that a non-100-continue-aware proxy would
> interpret the 100 response as a final response.

I think that is incorrect.

Expect is needed in this case, because the client will not start sending
the request body until the 100 Continue response has been received.

So in this case, it's essential for the protocol to work at all.

BR, Julian