RE: Label behaviour...

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:44:33 -0400
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

   From: Peter Raymond [mailto:Peter.Raymond@merant.com]

   What's the difference between DAV:add and DAV:set of a label?
   Section 8 of the spec does not spell this out.  My best guess is
   that DAV:add will fail with a DAV:must-be-new-label if the label is
   already used by any version of the resource, but DAV:set will
   remove any existing use of that label and then set the label on the
   specified version, but I don't see this documented in the spec.

I'll create distinct DAV:add-label and DAV:set-label postconditions
to make this clearer.  Everybody always guesses the correct answer
here, but no reason to make people guess things, even if they always
get the answer right (:-).

   How does a client get a list of labels to present the user with a
   choice?  The only way I can see is to request the
   DAV:label-name-set property of every version resource.  Wouldn't it
   be useful to have a report which listed the labels that are in use?

You can use the DAV:expand-property report or the DAV:version-tree
report, and request the DAV:label-name-set property.