OT: XHTML 1.0 vs. HTML 4.01 in MSIE

From: Stephan Engelke <engelke@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:45:30 +0100
To: HTML Tidy discussion list <html-tidy@w3.org>
Hi everyone,

Here is a problem I encoutered, not so much with tidy, but rather with
a page not being displayed at all.  This may be a little off-topic,
but I folks on this list seemed quite knoledgable to me, so I'll try
anyways.

Here's the problem:

I've to a page written in XTHML 1.0, I ran tidy on it, and validated
it using WDG-Validator.  The pages validates as XHTML 1.0 without
warnings and errors.  Unfortunately, MSIE 5 is not able to display the
page.  It keeps complaining about accented characters in the text
(chiefly "").  If i replace all occurences of umlauts and "" with
the respective entities, MSIE complains that the entity &eacute; is
unknown.   (I have specified the charset property).

All other browsers I tried (Netscape 4.76 (Win, Solaris, Linux),
Netscape 6 (Linux) Opera 5 (Wind), Opera 4 (Linux) had absolutely no
problem rendering these pages.

As soon as I replace the DTD for XHTML with the one for HTML 4.01 and
remove the <?xml version="1.0"?> in the first line of the page, MSIE
renders the page flawlessly, too.

If you want to take a look, try
http://www.club-ceronne.de/index-1.html (XHTML) and
http://www.club-ceronne.de/index-2.html (HTML 4.01), these pages
differ only in the DTD line.

Has anyone encountered this before?  What did I miss?

Cheers -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                                engelke@gmx.net
                                  *** Programming ... by trial and reboot. ***