Re: FW: Action: Replies to Glen Mazza's comments on Bookmarks

Sorry for the long delay in answering your comment, I was on vacation for
the month of February and came back to series of meetings.

At 11:31 PM 2/4/2005, Glen Mazza wrote:

>Thanks Steve for your thorough response--my comments
>below:
>
>--- Steve Zilles wrote
> >Glen Mazza wrote:
> >       49.)  Section 6.11.3,
> >       fo:bookmark-title, the two
> >       statements listed in the Constraints section appear
> >       be duplicated from fo:bookmark, and are not
> > relevant
> >       for this FO.
> >

> > It is indeed likely that these constraints were
> > duplicated from
> > bookmark, but they are relevant to the
> > fo:bookmark-title and the fix is
> > to change "bookmark" to "bookmark-title" in the two
> > constraints.
> >

>I am unsure here -- please check this one again.  Note
>that the content model for fo:bookmark-tree is only
>(#PCDATA) (no %inline; or %block;), so at least the
>second constraint (about child inline areas) appears
>not to be relevant.

#PCDATA is converted to a sequence of fo:characters which
generate glyph-areas which are child inline-areas, see

   4.2.1 Area Types
   There are two types of areas: block-areas and inline-areas.
   [...]
   A glyph-area is a special kind of inline-area which has
   no child areas, and has a single glyph image as its content.

Therefore, it is appropriate that the second constraint apply.

>   But again I am unsure.
>
>[Another issue:  I can't seem to find the email now,
>but someone in the Working Group about a year or so
>ago mentioned that the usual descriptions of FO's
>generating and returning areas are not really relevant
>for the bookmark FO's because they are off-document
>items.  I'm inclined to agree with that idea--having
>an Areas returned description and Constraints related
>to areas for the bookmark FO's are somewhat confusing,
>because these FO's don't appear to be really part of
>the Area Model--but rather external pointers to it.]

The point is not whether something is "off document" or not, but whether a
formatted displayable result is produced. The bookmark-title is intended to
be formatted into displayable form and, therefore, the normal area model
rules are applicable to it.

Although, the XSL spec does not specify any constraints on the layout of
the areas returned by bookmark title (to become children of the areas
returned by fo:bookmark), it is the case that such areas are likely to be
arranged like a list by many user agents. Hence the requirement of the
first constraint above, should apply to insure no unnecessary fragmentation
of the bookmark-title area occurs.

I believe the first constraint says that a bookmark will return multiple
areas only if it parent also has multiple areas. For bookmarks, multiple
areas are mostly likely to occur when a narrow display of the list forces
line wrapping or because the list of bookmarks is shown on multiple pages.
This is NOT, however, specified in the XSL specification, it is up to the
user agent.

Steve Zilles
115 Lansberry Court,
Los Gatos, CA 95032-4710