Re: Table-caption rendering question

At 11:16 2004-04-28 -0400, G. Ken Holman wrote:

>At 2004-04-28 08:55 -0500, Paul Grosso wrote:
>>At 09:18 2004 04 28 -0400, G. Ken Holman wrote:
>>>Is it intended that the caption described by <table-caption> be rendered on every page on which a portion of the associated table is rendered?
>>
>>Answering only for myself, and not the XSL FO SG, I'd say that
>>the spec gives no indication (as it does in the "Common usage"
>>part of section 6.7.3 on fo:table regarding fo:table-header and
>>fo:table-footer) that fo:table-caption is repeated in any way.
>
>Thank you for that clarification ... it has been my assumption that the reason the caption was abstracted out as its own construct was, indeed, to be rendered at the specified position of every fragment of the table that showed up on separate pages.

fwiw, I remember the "historic" reason for this was to "wrap"
the caption along with the table so that we could implement CSS's
ability to put the caption to the left or right of the graphic.
If it weren't for that issue, we wouldn't have called out
the table caption (and table-and-caption) as special FOs.

paul