Re: Differing interpretations of whitespace collapsing

At 09:56 2003 04 10 -0400, G. Ken Holman wrote:

>Two vendors produce different results for the following test:
>
><flow flow-name="frame-body" font-family="Times" font-size="20pt">
>
>  <block>x x x x</block>
>  <block>x <basic-link external-destination="url('test')">
>  x</basic-link> x x</block>
>
></flow>
>
>One vendor collapses the spaces in the second block such that all the "x"s line up vertically.  Another vendor preserves two spaces between the first two "x"s of the second block, thus the "x"s do not line up vertically.
>
>I desire what the first vendor does: collapse the whitespace such that the "x"s line up ... but I cannot find text in the spec to defend that position to the second vendor.
>
>I distilled this from my training material where I have in my XML:
>
>  <text>And for details see: <ref idref="x"/> for more information
>  <x>
>
>Note how I use a single space around each side of the <ref/>.  I want the leading linefeed of the title to be tossed, but I cannot use XSLT's normalize-space() on the text node as that would abut the words "Title" and "with".
>
>According to the spec, should the "x"s line up vertically in my test above?

RESOLUTION: According to the current spec as clarified by the discussion
on "immediately preceding" in the 2002 October 22 SG Comment document in
response to comment 5 item 1 (see also email on the xsl-editors list [1]
for a public record of this response), the current situation is that the
spaces in this example should not collapse.

Paul Grosso
for the XSL FO SG

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2002OctDec/0004