Re: Regarding your comment on xsl-editors

At 15:21 2002 07 07 +1000, Peter B. West wrote:
>Paul,
>
>Thank you for your reply.  I have further questions on aspects of your answers.

Peter,

We discussed your comments on this issue of inheritance
again today and discovered we had conflicting interpretations
of your questions which resulted in confusing responses.
Specifically, our last response to you was apparently not
to the question you meant to ask, so it gave you the incorrect
idea of what the spec says.

Therefore let me attempt to elaborate both on the questions
and answers to see if we can clear up the issues.

Consider the following FO result tree fragment:

<fo:root>
<fo:layout-master-set>
<fo:simple-page-sequence master-name="all-pages">
<fo:region-body color="red" margin-left="1in"/>
</fo:simple-page-sequence>
</fo:layout-master-set>
<fo:page-sequence master-reference="all-pages">
<fo:flow margin-left="from-nearest-specified-value()">
. . .

Your first question at [1] was first interpreted as asking whether
the computed values of margin-left and color on fo:region-body were
derived from the initial values or from the values specified on
fo:region-body?

The answer to this question was from those specified on fo:region-body.

However your follow up implied that your question was more likely
asking whether the computed values of margin-left and color on
fo:flow were derived from the initial values or from the values
specified on fo:region-body.

The answer to this question is from the initial values.  (They would
be derived from the values on the fo:root tag if those properties had
been specified on fo:root and not on fo:page-sequence.)

In XSL 1.0, inheritance only uses the hierarchy of the FO result tree,
so no property settings anywhere within the fo:layout-master-set element
can ever be inherited (implicitly, via the inherit keyword, or via the
various from-* functions) into any fo:page-sequence.

Any kind of "(logical) inheritance" from the fo:layout-master-set into
the fo:page-sequences would only be considered as a possible extension
in a future version of XSL.

Please let me know if this clarifies the issue and responds to your concerns.

paul

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2002JanMar/0121