Re: Regarding your comment on xsl-editors

Paul,

Thank you for your reply.  I have further questions on aspects of your
answers.

Firstly, I am puzzled by your response, at the same time, to a question
from Arved Sandstrom, who asked, inter alia, "Has any thought been given
as to whether logical inheritance through page-masters and
region-masters might also be desirable?"

Your response to him <4.3.2.7.2.20020630164104.01772a00@172.27.10.30>
seems to me to imply that inheritance from, e.g., fo:region-body "will
be considered for a future version of XSL."  However, in your response
to me, you say that when 'inherit' is used, FOs within page-sequences
*do* inherit from fo:region-body, when there is no specification in the
ancestral line from fo:root.  These responses seem to me to be
contradictory.  Could you please explain this further.

Do your comments about inheritance where 'inherit' is involved also
apply to "normal" inheritance?

When a value is specified only on fo:root and (differently) on
fo:region-body, does an FO within a page-sequence still inherit from
fo_region-body?

I find it a complication for implementation that, according to the
second part of your response, that properties not directly applicable to
FOs in the layout-master-set, if defined within that set, are not
available for inheritance.  In general, properties can be defined on any
FO, so why this variation from that general principle?  According to
this response, I must not only ensure that properties defined on
layout-master-set elements become available to page-sequences which are
laid out according to those master elements, but I must eliminate those
properties which are not relevant to the layout-master-set elements.
This distinction is not required elsewhere: if the property is defined,
it is available for later use.

Peter

--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://powerup.com.au/~pbwest