Re: XSL acronym ambiguity

The XSL charter reads "Stylesheet", the W3C web page(s) should be
corrected. This message has been forwarded to the XSL-WG and the W3C
contact.
---Steve Deach

At 09:03 -0800 06/01/99, Robin Cover wrote:
>James and Steve,
>
>I forwarded such a note to some XSL WG members a few
>months ago, and cannot now determine whether the following
>matter is something that:
>
>a) has slipped through the cracks
>b) the XSL WG elects not to resolve, preferring ambiguity
>c) the XSL WG wants to resolve but can't, for lack of consensus
>d  is to be resolved by some entity other than the XSL WG
>e) explained otherwise (...)
>
>Namely, we still don't know whether "XSL" is determinative
>for any particular phrase, or for several.
>
>To wit:
>
>As of 1999-01-06,
>
>http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl
>has "Extensible Stylesheet Language"
>
>but:
>
>http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/
>has "Extensible Style Language (XSL)"
>
>while:
>
>http://www.w3.org/Style/Activity
>has "Extensible Style Sheets Language (XSL)"
>as well as "XSL - the Extensible Style Language"

>Sorry to pester you with such a minor point.
>
>My own feeling (OK, you didn't ask!) is that the "XSL"
>effort under the name "style" covers too much ground,
>since "style" would have to do with rendition, while
>many other kinds of processing semantics ("behaviors")
>including queries and links don't feel to me like they
>are a matter of "style" in any fundamental/obvious sense.
>
>Any chance that this will get solved soon?
>
>Thanks to each of you for the extraordinary (difficult,
>time-consuming) effort you have given to bring XSL to
>maturity.
>
>Best wishes for 1999.
>
>Robin Cover

--Stephen Deach
  sdeach@adobe.com        |  Sr. Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (voice)    |  Adobe Systems Incorporated
  408-537-4214 (fax)      |  Mailstop E15-420     <===== New (July 12-98)
  408-921-0226 (cellular) |  345 Park Ave
  510-623-1979 (home)     |  San Jose, CA 95110-2704