Re: Getting from "Good Start" to "Great Solution” . . ?

The other thing that I was thinking just reading that email which replaced
a p:pipe with p:read-port.

I'm sure the fundamental barrier to easily understand and use XProc and for
greater community involvement is pipes and ports.

I made some v.next comments which basically questions if you could remove
pipe and ports by moving to a model that relied on a resource manager which
was one of the v.next suggestions. If you implement a resource manager you
don't really need pipes or ports.

   - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xproc-dev/2012Oct/0009.html

The reduction in complexity is clear from the p:pipe replaced with
p:read-port contrast and it points out that p:pipe is not needed.

Why not take it one step further and use a resource manager. If you know
your going to need to save the output of a particular step for later add it
to the resource manager and then reference it later in a similar fashion to
p:read-port.

If you had a resource manager it would greatly simplify the implementation
and complexity to program.  Also it would be highly scalable as the
functionality of the resource manager could overtime grow and give all
kinds of possibilities as to how large numbers of resources are managed.

Is there any discussion of the resource manager at the conference? Why why
not?

Thanks

--
-

Alex G. Muir
Software Engineering Consultant
Linkedin Profile : http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/alex-muir/36/ab7/125
Love African Kora Music? Take a moment to listen to Gambia's - Amadu
Diabarte & Jali Bakary Konteh www.bafila.bandcamp.com Your support keeps
Africa's griot tradition alive... Cheers!