Re: Some hints on the basics

Hello Wendell,

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com> wrote:

> 1. Can I (how would I) call out to another pipeline (maybe in another XProc
> instance?) whose input would be my source document and whose results would
> be input to a new transformation?

there is no built in eval step or call-pipeline step in XProc ...
though most (including mine) include something ... I recommend
continue using calabash and it has

http://xmlcalabash.com/extension/steps/

cx:eval

we hope to herd these common extensions into http://exproc.org/

> 2. How do I calculate the name of a secondary input document from that of a
> primary input? (I gather I can just do "replace(base-uri(),'dir1/','dir2/')"
> or the like, but where and how?)

there are a few ways to achieve this ... you might find analyzing
Normans recent blog entry

http://norman.walsh.name/2010/04/13/flickrWithXProc

a good start to understanding more complex pipelines ... I think you
could use a p:variable to achieve this

> 3. How do I combine these, to run a transformation that takes as its inputs:
>  a. the results of my primary source file run through my subordinate
> pipeline;
>  b. the results of a secondary source (whose name is either parameterized
> for my XProc engine or derived from the name of my primary source) through
> the same subordinate pipeline.

I think once you understand your first 2 questions the third will come
easily to you ... might be easier for me to help if I could see a
representative example that you have now and iterate from there.

hth, J