Re: Some hints on the basics

Wendell,

 > … I'm finding the how-to literature available on line is either out
of date, or a mismatch for my needs, or both

I've been having the same problem. The most useful (annotated!) examples
that I've found that actually go beyond chaining two XSLTs and a
validation together are Norm Walsh's posts on his weblog:
http://norman.walsh.name/

Examples:
http://norman.walsh.name/2009/03/26/xprocWithXProc
http://norman.walsh.name/2010/03/07/wikiEdit
http://norman.walsh.name/2010/04/13/flickrWithXProc

 > Also, what's the state of play regarding reference literature? The
W3C Rec?

The good news is: Norm seems to be working on a book. See:
http://norman.walsh.name/2010/04/12/xprocbook
http://xprocbook.com/

Cheers!

Markus

Wendell Piez wrote:
> Tomos,
>
> Thanks very much for the ideas: this definitely gives me things to try.
>
> At 06:21 AM 4/13/2010, HILLMAN, Tomos wrote:
>> > 1. Can I (how would I) call out to another pipeline (maybe in another
>> > XProc instance?) whose input would be my source document and whose
>> > results would be input to a new transformation?
>>
>> Assuming the pipeline you want to call in looks a bit like this:

>> xmlns:c="http://www.w3.org/ns/xproc-step"
>> xmlns:ex="http://www.example.com" name="pipeline01" version="1.0">
>>
>> You can do the following:

>> <ex:pipeline01 name="friendly-name"/>
>
> Hm: that's intriguing.
>
>> > 2. How do I calculate the name of a secondary input document from
>> > that of a primary input? (I gather I can just do
>> > "replace(base-uri(),'dir1/','dir2/')" or the like, but where and how?)
>>
>> Well, I only learnt about the p:load element this morning, but my
>> first guess would be to get your base-uri for doc1 into a variable
>> and do this:

> That looks good.
>
>> > 3. How do I combine these
>>
>> If you define the subordinate pipeline you should be able to reuse it
>> easily enough for each document.
>
> Fair enough, but what's the best way to construct a pipeline that
> either (a) aggregates two documents into one and then transforms the
> aggregate, or (b) calls a transformation with the results of one
> pipeline as a source and another as a parameter?
>
> I'd prefer (a) since eventually there may be more than two....
>
>> Perhaps the experts could confirm or deny this approach?
>
> Yes, please?
>
> Also, what's the state of play regarding reference literature? The W3C
> Rec?
>
> In the meantime I'll mess around, so thanks for the tips. (And this
> will be in baby steps so if I go quiet it means only that I'm busy.)
>
> Cheers,
> Wendell

> Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@mulberrytech.com
> Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
> 17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
> Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
> Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285
> Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML

Markus Flatscher, Project Editor
PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
Email: markus.flatscher@virginia.edu