Re: XSD with "required" attribute option related query

Hi Rajneesh,
    Within the XSD document you've attached, following is a XSD issue to
start with (using Xerces-J 2.12.1 as XSD validator),

[Error] query1.xsd:3:67: s4s-att-not-allowed: Attribute 'maxOccurs' cannot
appear in element 'element'.
[Error] query1.xsd:3:67: s4s-att-not-allowed: Attribute 'minOccurs' cannot
appear in element 'element'.

i.e, the following is not allowed by XSD language,

<xs:schema attributeFormDefault="unqualified"
elementFormDefault="qualified" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

    <xs:element name="functionalView" maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="1">

</xs:schema>

Removing, maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="1" from above shown xs:element
declaration from your attached XSD document, makes your XSD document
correct (with both 1.0 and 1.1 versions of XSD language).

Now coming to your question.
I think that, the issue you've mentioned can be solved using an XSD 1.1
<assert> instruction. I guess that, you can rewrite your XSD fragment to
following (I've only added an <assert>), to achieve what you've mentioned,

<xs:element name="where" maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0">
       <xs:complexType>
             <xs:sequence>
                   <xs:element name="condition" maxOccurs="unbounded"
minOccurs="1">
                         <xs:complexType>
                               <xs:simpleContent>
                                     <xs:extension base="xs:string">
                                            <xs:attribute type="xs:string"
name="alias1" use="required"/>
                                            <xs:attribute type="xs:string"
name="col1" use="required"/>
                                            <xs:attribute type="xs:string"
name="operator" use="required"/>
                                            <xs:attribute type="xs:string"
name="string" use="optional"/>
                                            <xs:attribute type="xs:string"
name="number" use="optional"/>
                                            <xs:attribute type="xs:string"
name="date" use="optional"/>
                                            <xs:assert test="exists(@string
| @number | @date)"/>
                                   </xs:extension>
                              </xs:simpleContent>
                         </xs:complexType>
                     </xs:element>
                </xs:sequence>
         </xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

I've not tested, the logic of <assert> I've mentioned above.

Could be useful information to share that, you may use the full XPath 2.0
language, to write value of 'test' attribute of an <assert>. Also, 1 upto
any number of <assert> elements can be written as siblings in the XSD
document (all of the sibling <assert> elements, have to evaluate to true
for having the XML instance document valid).

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi