Re: TR: COSOLUCE : Urgent --> Problème de validation de schéma

Thank you for your mail.  (I regret that I am unable to respond in French; my
apologies.)

I wonder if the problem may be related to the measures W3C has undertaken to
deal with the problem of excessive DTD and schema traffic [1, 2].  DTD and XSD
resources change very slowly and can therefore be cached very effectively, and
W3C serves such resources with appropriate cache-control headers.  But some
programs and libraries (including apparently some in very wide use) insist on
hitting the W3C servers every time they wish to use a DTD or schema; the result
has been a very high load on W3C's network connections and servers.  In order to
deal with the problem, W3C's system administrators have set things up so that
DTDs and schema documents are served very slowly; impatient software may
misinterpret this as a network timeout, and perhaps that is what is happening in
this case.  But IP addresses which hit the W3C site repeatedly for the same resource
within a very short period of time may also be blacklisted, especially if the user agent
string is not set in such a way as to allow the software responsible for the requests to
be identified reliably.  That might also explain the behavior observed.

There are several measures you, or any software developer or user affected by
these issues can undertake.

- You can and should set up and use some mechanism to allow the schema documents
in question to be retrieved without hitting the W3C server.  A local caching proxy
is one possibility; the use of an XML Catalog is another.  Pointers to further information
on these is available in the blog post at [2].

- As software developers, you should ensure that your software can use XML Catalogs
for stable resources like the DSig schema, and that it is easy for the user to tell the
software where to find the catalog.  (My personal view is that it's helpful if you ship a
catalog with your software and make use of a catalog the default, but some smart
people disagree with me on that.)

- As software developers, you should also ensure that when you request a
schema from W3C, you use the appropriate facilities of your http library to set
an informative user-agent string, so that cases of malconfigured installations of your
software can be identified and fixed.

There may be other steps you can take; I refer you to [2] for other ideas.

It is possible, of course, that I have completely misunderstood the nature of the
issue and that the origin of your trouble is completely unrelated to W3C's
defensive measures against excessive DTD and schema traffic.  (But even if
the problem is some other network issue, a local cache or an XML catalog will
help to defend against it.)

I hope this helps.

--C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
  Black Mesa Technologies LLC