Re: XML Datatype clarification: fractionDigits

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Nochum Klein <nklein@tibco.com> wrote:
> I was hoping to get some clarification regarding the use of
> <xsd:fractionDigits value="0"/>.

I think, doing this on xsd:decimal is perhaps equivalent to using xsd:integer.

> My understanding of the specification is that there must be at most the number of specified digits.

I agree. Thats what I can understand from spec also.

> Therefore if it's zero then there MUST be zero digits (and "1..0" should be represented as
> "1").  Where the fractionDigits is set to zero, the resulting value can only
> be supported in a lexical representation of the "xsd:decimal" data type
> (e.g. 1), but not the canonical one (which requires 1.0).  I understand that
> the spec addresses this with lexical-canonical mappings.  However assume
> that a WSDL contains a restriction for zero fractionDigits.  If a value of
> "1.0" is input, should the input be rejected as it is incompatible with the
> restriction, or should it be accepted since there is a valid mapping to a
> canonical representation that would be compatible with the restriction?

The spec of xsd:fractionDigits says, "it does not restrict the
·lexical space· directly; a lexical representation that adds
non-significant leading or trailing zero digits is still permitted.".
My reading of this says, if an input value is 1.0 and
xsd:fractionDigits value="0" then this value would be reported as
valid, since in this case trailing zero was removed and than
validation was done.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi