Re: sml schema regular expression performance

I don't understand what you are saying.

XML Schema is a specification, not an implementation. The regex language
it defines has no differences from other popular regex languages that
would make it less efficient.

The decision to anchor regexes by default has nothing to do with
efficiency or performance: it's all about usability. A typical regex in
XSD might be one that is used to validate that postcodes take the form
XX99 99X. The rule that the user wants to enforce is that the string as
a whole should match the pattern, not that some substring should match
the pattern. It's very rare to see a validation rule where anchoring
isn't appropriate.

Clearly there is no difference in performance between using a regular
expression [A-Z]{3}[0-9]{3} that is implicitly anchored, and using a
regular expression ^[A-Z]{3}[0-9]{3}$ that is explicitly anchored. It's
only a usability difference.

Similarly, in the rare cases where you want an unanchored match, say to
test that a string contains at least one occurrence of "(...)", a
processor that chooses to do so can easily recognize the pattern
".*\(.*\).*" and strip off the leading and trailing ".*" and then do an
unanchored match if it thinks that the regex library will be able to
process it more quickly this way. Whether this is the case is of course
likely to vary from one regex engine to another.

In practice XSD regexes are usually used to validate fairly short
strings, so it's very rare to experience performance problems. Some
users do put monstrous regular expressions in their schemas, but
performance depends much more on the length of the input string than on
the complexity of the regex. Paradoxically, because problems are rare,
and regex evaluation isn't usually on the critical path, there's
actually little incentive for XSD implementors to put a lot of effort
into regex performance improvement.

Michael Kay
Saxonica