Re: What is the data type of a fixed element that has no type attribute?

On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:45 AM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> What is the data type of this fixed element:
>
>      <element name="Aircraft" fixed="boeing:AC-747" />

I think the spec says that the type of 'Aircraft' is xsd:anyType.

> Can an XML instance document specify that its type is a QName, like so:
>
>      <Aircraft xsi:type="xs:QName">boeing:AC-747</Aircraft>
>
> That results in an error, why?

In the document you give, no binding for the prefix 'boeing' is
visible.  If a processor were to validate the Aircraft element
against xsd:QName in that document, I'd expect it to find the
element invalid.

But you seem to be saying the processors you've tried have
given you an error message, instead, not a report that the
input is invalid.  (Or are you treating invalidity as an error?)

Hard to say what the processor is thinking, if you don't provide
more complete input and don't report what the processor actually
says.

* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib
* http://balisage.net