RE: Although no external representation of schemas is required ... What is an "external" representation?

Yes, this was exactly the intention.  And some of the discussions around the issue use the term "born binary" to mean schemas that are encoded into a processor, with no "external" XML representation ever actually having existed.

-----Original Message-----
From: G. Ken Holman [mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:23 AM
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: Although no external representation of schemas is required ... What is an "external" representation?

At 2012-06-28 12:15 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>In section 3.1.2 of the Structures specification it says:
>
>     Although no external representation of schemas
>     is required ...
>
>What is an "external" representation of an XML Schema?

Typically XML Schema syntax in XML (though I gather there are some experiments out there with alternative syntaxes).

>External to what?

The schema processor.

>What is a non-external (internal?) representation of an XML Schema?
>Do such things exist?

They can.  As a convenience a processor can build-in the schema components of a given namespace such that the user need not have to supply an external expression of those schema components.

I don't know any that do, just because I haven't looked, but it is certainly possible for a processor to offer this.

I hope this helps.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- Oct 2012 Contact us for world-wide XML consulting and instructor-led training Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/

This electronic message, including attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual or company named above or to which it is addressed. The information contained in this message shall be considered confidential and proprietary, and may include confidential work product. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this email immediately.