Re: The Rule of Least Power

On 21/06/2012 17:44, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Below is a discussion of the rule of least power and how it applies to XML Schema design. The rule of least power is very cool. Comments welcome.  /Roger
>

> The rule of least power says that given a choice of suitable ways to implement something, choose the least powerful way.

While I can see the arguments, I have to say I am very uncomfortable
with this as an architectural principle. A great deal of software design
is concerned with building systems that have potential for change, and
that means choosing technologies and designs that provide enough
headroom to cope with future requirements as well as current
requirements. I think this "rule" could be used to justify some really
poor design decisions, for example using a text file for data
interchange instead of using XML.

Michael Kay
Saxonica