Re: Perform XML Schema validation at run-time?

Are you referring to the validation of a XML schema? Or the validation of an
XML document via xml schema?

We have a thin client DITA editor that does lots of runtime validation on
xml documents. However we built our own validation engine in javascript to
do this efficiently on the client. Virtually all XML editors do some kind of
schema validation at runtime, as well as many publishing engines.

IMHO the real benefits of XML schema are in its ability to influence
business processes and workflows. Runtime validation provides automatic
mechanisms for guaranteeing data quality when moving through a workflow.
This reduces errors and catches faults in the process before they can be
damaging. For some industries (Machinery, Pharmasuticals) these checkpoints
can save millions of dollars and without runtime validation these benefits
would be lost.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Cheers,

Casey

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org>wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> "XML Schema validation should only be done during testing and debugging. It
> should never be done at run-time."
>
> Do you agree with that statement?
>
> Can you provide an example of a service that does run-time validation?
>
> /Roger

Casey Jordan
easyDITA a product of Jorsek LLC
"CaseyDJordan" on LinkedIn, Twitter & Facebook
(585) 348 7399
easydita.com

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please be advised that any disclosure  copying, distribution, or use of
the information contained herein is prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please destroy all copies of the message,
whether in electronic or hard copy format, as well as attachments, and
immediately contact the sender by replying to this e-mail or by phone.
Thank you.