RE: Are attribute values case sensitivite

Great thanks!
Shai

From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Michael Kay
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:02 PM
To: Shai Gotlib
Cc: Pete Cordell; Mukul Gandhi; xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: Are attribute values case sensitivite

On 21/12/2010 12:44, Shai Gotlib wrote:
Thank you all for your quick responses,

I tried to look for some statement about it in the specs and didn’t find (http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/)
The only place that “sensitive” found there is with the context of “Character Encoding” (“XML processors SHOULD match character encoding names in a case-insensitive way”).

I found that <oXygen> found <xs:restriction base="xs:String"> as valid while other XML Schema parser found it invalid…

Does someone know where explicitly it is defined that it is case-sensitive?

Thanks in advance,
Shai

The rules for resolving a QName that refers to a schema component are in XSD Part 1 section 3.15.3, Schema Representation Constraint: QName resolution (Schema Document), in particular the rules:

2 The component's {name} matches the ·local name· of the ·QName·;
3 The component's {target namespace} is identical to the ·namespace name· of the ·QName·;

I'm not sure why one of these rules says "matches" and the other says "identical to", but the definition of "matches" in section 1.4 of XSD Part 2 says:

[Definition:]  match
(Of strings or names:) Two strings or names being compared must be identical. Characters with multiple possible representations in ISO/IEC 10646 (e.g. characters with both precomposed and base+diacritic forms) match only if they have the same representation in both strings. No case folding is performed.

I hope that gives you the evidence trail you are looking for!

Michael Kay
Saxonica