Re: redefine and target namespace

Henry Thompson writes:

> That was part of the compromise.

Stated differently:  you can infer that there were a significant number of
people involved who strongly took the opposite position from yours, and
the default you see was in deference to their views of what the community
needed.  As already noted, it was a long and difficult discussion, with
strongly held opinions on both sides.  I don't think anyone thought the
resulting design was particularly appealing, but given the strongly
divergent opinions about what users needed and/or about how namespaces
were supposed to be used, the design had the advantage of letting users
choose.  FWIW:  I tend to sympathize with George's feeling that most users
do want the qualified idiom, that qualified would have been a better
default, etc.  Still, it's way too late to reopen it now, and there are
schemas out in the wild that use both options as far as I know.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street