RE: Escalation mechanism for different interpretation of W3C XML-Schema specification ?

Michael - you've asked for feedback about whether redefine should be
deprecated.  I believe it should.

I believe that the primary purpose for which schemas are written is an
attempt to facilitate automated data exchange between computer systems.
Features which in practice provide an "impedance" to the smooth
automation of data exchange are bad.  This email thread provides a
classic illustration of a feature which has resulted in troubled and
problematic implementation.

With regard to this discussion creeping onto other features such as
complex type derivation by restriction, I don't think it is particularly
helpful of you to suggest that people stick to programming languages
which support the same data structure concepts as XML Schema!  Picking
up your own point from another email on this thread, schema is widely
used as a data interchange format even though it originated in document
markup.  Data interchange involves sending and receiving systems, and to
my mind an interchange definition which aims at facilitating smooth
automation should dovetail reasonably easily with technologies commonly
used - the words "cart", "horse", "tail" and "dog" spring to mind! I
think schema has often been criticised as over-complicated and
over-sophisticated.  Maybe definition of some subset of schema
facilities for common data interchange would help in this whole area,
although obviously attempting such an exercise would not be an easy one.