Re: [XML Schema 1.1] I respectfully recommend these changes to <assert> and <alternative>

Hi Roger,
   I have following comments on XML Schema 1.1 assertions..

Please consider this Schema example, and some assertion definitions:

<xs:element name="books">
 <xs:complexType>
  <xs:sequence>
    <xs:element name="book" type="bookType" maxOccurs="unbounded" />
  </xs:sequence>
  <xs:attribute name="numbers" type="xs:int" />
  <xs:assert test="count(./book) gt 5" />
 </xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

<xs:compleType name="bookType">
  <xs:sequence>
   <xs:element name="title" type="xs:string" />
   <xs:element name="isbn" type="xs:string" />
   <xs:element name="price" type="xs:string" />
  </xs:sequence>
  <xs:assert test="ends-with(price, 'USD')" />
</xs:complexType>

XML Schema 1.1 assertions is the property of the 'Schema type'. The
assertion on 'books' says, we must have more than 5 'book' elements.

While the assertion on 'book' (actually on the type, 'bookType') says,
that the price string must have a suffix, 'USD'.

The first assertion operates on the tree rooted at, 'books'. While the
2nd assertion operates on the tree rooted at, 'book'. The 2nd
assertion would run on all instances of 'book'.

We could define suitable assertions, at anywhere in the hierarchy of
the Schema document.

My personal opinion is, I think, the current assertions spec looks
good and modular to me.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi