Re: Best Practices for Establishing Namespace Name

At 2009-08-28 15:34 -0700, Tsao, Scott wrote:
>We are trying to decide on a namespace URI for an XML schema under
>development by a standards committee in the aerospace industry.
>
>Are there best practices that we could follow?  For example, the
>choice between URL and URN, case sensitivity, unique components in
>the name, and incorporation of RDDL, etc.
>
>Also, are there good example namespace names already established by
>standards committees such as those in OASIS?

I cite the OASIS genericode namespace as an example of using RDDL in XHTML:

     http://docs.oasis-open.org/codelist/ns/genericode/1.0/

And I used the following stylesheet to help me polish the document's accuracy:

     http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/#showrddl

Case sensitivity is implied by the Namespaces in XML specification:

     http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-names11-20060816/#NSNameComparison

I can think of no guidelines for namespace components other than not
implying there is a schema at the URL.  Just plan ahead so that you
can create a number of namespace URI strings without collisions.

I regret that the OASIS policy at the release of UBL was URN-based
and not URL-based, but such was the case at the time.

I hope this helps.

--
Interested in these classes?  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/i/
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/