RE: Restricting attribute use from optional to required

There's an assymetry here between attributes and child elements. For the
content model (child elements), when you restrict a type you have to restate
all the parts of the content model that you want to inherit. For attributes,
you only have to list the things that have changed - any other attributes
are inherited automatically.

(No, I can't justify why it was designed that way. Like most things in XSD,
it was probably because there were too many bright people on the committee
and each of them got their way on one feature of the language.)

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay