RE: comments and PIs in XML Schema

I think one way of looking at this is that if you want formal constraints on
where comments and PIs appear, then you shouldn't be using comments and PIs,
you should be using elements.

It's true, of course, that comments and PIs are open to abuse. I've been
known to put data in PIs because the schema wouldn't let me put it anywhere
else. But I think one of the reasons XML works well is that it allows you to
use dirty tricks when you're stuck - systems need to have a bit of
flexibility built in.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/