Re: Schema embedded in an XML document

On 22 Apr 2009, at 08:38 , Rowan Bradley wrote:

> Is it possible to incorporate the schema in a single file along with
> the XML content that’s meant to conform to the schema? I’m thinking
> of something rather like HTML files that can incorporate embedded
> CSS styles, or the CSS files can be extracted into a separate CSS
> file.
> Thanks - Rowan

Yes, in principle.

In practice, different validators make different assumptions about
what such an arrangement should look like, so it's hard to produce
an instance+schema package that will work with all (or even more than
one) validator.

There was interest at one time in performing a survey of current
practice and publishing a Note to document it, but there was also
resistance to this idea, so it has not happened.

I hope this helps.

* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib
* http://balisage.net