RE: different whitespace-collapse behaviour of parsers

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 08:29:16 -0000, Michael Kay wrote (to xmlschema-dev):
>The specification is a little bit less formal than one might like:

>and I guess one could argue for an interpretation that says a character
>can't be a "leading #x20" unless it is followed by something - but it seems
>a bit far-fetched to me. I think Liquid XML Studio is out on a limb here.
>But I've raised bug 6695 to propose a clarification.

The XSD WG has eliminated the words 'leading' and 'trailing'; the revised
text is:

>collapse:
>   After the processing implied by replace, contiguous sequences of #x20's are
>collapsed to a single #x20, and any #x20 at the start or end of the string is
>then removed.

The result of collapsing a string consisting solely of whitespace is
the empty string, and this wording is intended to make that more obvious.
--
Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!

davep@iit.edu