Re: Validating application-specific XHTML

Robert Koberg schrieb:
> On Nov 27, 2008, at 5:32 AM, Michael Ludwig wrote:
>>
>> Why would you hate to see, or have to maintain such a schema?
>
> Well, I guess I should have said that I don't even know how to write
> an XML Schema that will validate a CSS based XHTML page. For example,
> a div element with a particular ID (a unique NCName) must have a child
> div with another particular ID, but also allow other divs/tables/ol/ul.
> The another div with another ID must have a child that contains a
> certain class, but also allow other divs/tables/ol/ul, etc...

I see. I hadn't given it much thought. XML Schema is probably too rigid.
I need patterns, not types.

>>> However, it would be pretty easy to use an XSL to validate your
>>> page.

>> That's a good idea. Strangely, it hasn't occurred to me I could use
>> XSLT for the job. It doesn't seem to have a reputation for being a
>> validator tool, yet.
>
> Well, there is schematron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schematron).
>
> Like you mentioned, you can just as easily use HttpUnit. You might
> also want to look at WebTest (which uses HttpUnit)
> http://webtest.canoo.com/webtest/manual/WebTestHome.html -- with
> either you can use XPath to find what you need.
>
> However, I find using XSL to be easiest and most flexible.

Thanks for all these pointers. Both Schematron and WebTest are new to
me and look interesting, and better suited to the task than XML Schema.

I'm glad I asked you. Thanks once more!

Michael Ludwig