RE: anyAttribute via attributeGroup refs problem

There is a very surprising rule here: when you reference two attribute
groups and they both contain attribute wildcards, you get the intersection
of the wildcards, not the union as you might expect. In this case of course
the intersection is empty.

As it happens the WG debated changing this rule (at some length) a couple of
weeks ago, and decided to make no change - partly for backwards
compatibility reasons, partly because someone thinks there are use cases
where it makes sense to take the intersection, partly because you can get
the union if you want it by defining two types, one of which extends the
other (when type T extends type S, the attribute wildcard is the union of
those defined on T and S).

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/