RE: inquiry into the <choice> element behavior

In Scenario 1, you are allowed to make a single choice, either choose an
unbounded number of foo (but minimum 1 - the default minOccurs) or
alternatively choose an unbounded number of bar
Your interpretation is incorrect: the maxOccurs attribute does not
override the other one.
Possible sequences: f fff ffffff b bb bbbb
Not possible: fb, empty sequence, fffbbbff

In scenario 2, you are allowed to make an unbounded number of choices
(but minimum 1), each one either choosing the unbounded number of foo or
an unbounded number of bar.
Possible sequences: f fff ffffff b bb bbbb fb fffbbbbbbffb
Not possible: empty sequence

Scenario 3:
<xs:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
     <xs:element name="foo" type="xs:string" maxOccurs="1"/>
     <xs:element name="bar" type="xs:string" maxOccurs="1"/>
</xs:choice>

You are allowed to make an unbounded number of choices (but minimum 1),
each one either choosing a single foo or a single bar.
The possible sequences are exactly the same as in scenario 2.

Scenario 4:
<xs:choice maxOccurs="1">
     <xs:element name="foo" type="xs:string" maxOccurs="1"/>
     <xs:element name="bar" type="xs:string" maxOccurs="1"/>
</xs:choice>
You are allowed to make a single choice, either choose a single foo or
alternatively choose a single bar
Possible sequences: f b
Not possible: empty sequence ff bb fb

> In other words, how is scenario 2 different
> than just having the elements on their own, without the
> choice element?
I don't understand what you mean with 'on their own'.

Kind regards,

Andy Den Tandt

Andy Den Tandt
Product Manager
Enfocus, an EskoArtwork company

Tel: +32 9 216 98 27 - Fax: +32 9 216 98 54 EskoArtwork NV,
Kortrijksesteenweg 1095
BE-9051 Gent, Belgium
andydt@enfocus.com - www.enfocus.com